Watermelon and Mint Salad #WeekdaySupper
Shewie, is it getting hot out there! This week we hit high temperatures and scorching humidity. Believe me, not my favorite combinations, yuck!
As I sat in my 74 degree temperature house, I pulled some refreshing ingredients to help me cool down. (You know, because it’s hot outside…)
Let’s be honest, watermelon rocks in the summertime. I prefer mine sitting in a big glass of vodka but to each their own. My daughter, who can’t experience the joys of vodka yet, enjoys hers by itself or with the dip I’m going to tell you about.
I created this dip, now dressing, because kids love to dip things right? You can try it many different ways. I decided to pour it on as a “salad dressing” to make it more adult-friendly. The ingredients for the dressing are simple: yogurt, honey, walnuts and mint. When making a dip, I change it up all the time. Sometimes I leave out the nuts, sometimes I leave out the mint, (honey and yogurt are really yummy), and sometimes I just give them yogurt to dip their fruit in.
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or any kind of nut)
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves: finely chopped
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- 2. Place nut of choice in a baking sheet and toast, shaking every minute for 3-5 minutes.
- 3. While nuts are cooling, cut watermelon into bite sized pieces
- 4. Chop nuts to desired size. (I like mine very small)
- 5. In a small bowl, combine nuts, yogurt, honey and mint. Stir
- 6. Add watermelon to bowl and place in fridge to let flavors combine. 1 hour.
This time I had spearmint on hand but any kind of mint will do. I even got fancy and brought out the melon baller, look out!
Join me in some more yummy #WeekdaySupper recipes by the same awesome #SundaySupper crew! Go ahead, check out this week and remember to be cool! (I meant keep cool, same deal!)
Monday – Mama’s Blissful Bites – Watermelon and Mint Salad
Tuesday – Eat, Move, Shine – Grilled Chicken with Goat Cheese, Candied Tomatoes and Roasted Olives
Wednesday – Shockingly Delicious – Wedge Sala
Thursday – Basic N Delicious – Chicken Fried Rice
Friday – Cravings of a Lunatic – Farmers Market Salad