Are you here for the party? So am I! This week, Conni from The Foodie Army Wife, is our host for this weeks #SundaySupper. We bring to you – Holiday Drinks and Appetizers! Since this is the best time of the year, I really like to follow that up with a fantastic feast! If you know my blog by n0w or are friends with me on my FB page, you may have noticed that I am converting over to whole foods. I’ve been working on a whole foods menu for our Christmas dinner and this dip is one of my favorites on the list, so simple and yet so delicious.
You see, I love to eat and I am not exaggerating one bit. I LOVE to eat, constantly and all day long…especially in the winter months. I feel like it’s almost the perfect excuse, winter = FEAST! The only thing I don’t enjoy is adding on extra weight. When that happens, I feel negative towards myself. So this year, I made a promise to myself not to add-on extra’s but enjoy and be healthy. Is this possible? All the parties? All the gatherings? Of course there’s bound to be some food, right? Of course!
If you invite me to your party, (which I would love to attend, wink, wink), I am bringing my healthy dip and some celery, perhaps even carrots. If you want me to go all out – I volunteer to take over a vegetable side dish too!
- 4 organic sweet potatoes (or two conventional. I find organic sweet potatoes to be smaller in size)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sea salt
- raisins (optional)
- pecans (toasted or not, delicious add…optional)
Step 1: prehead oven to 400 degrees. Poke holes using a fork through potato skins to let heat escape. Place on baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes until soft
Step 2: After potatoes cool down, peel off the skin. Put flesh, cinnamon and salt into blender. Blend and slowly add olive oil until desired consistency
Step 3: Place in serving bowl and add raisins and pecans on top.
I make this often in our house for snack time as well. Served with celery, peppers, carrots or crackers – I know it’s going to be devoured. I always feel good serving it to my children knowing the ingredients from which its made and how good sweet potatoes are for you!
Now, because Christmas is a very special time of year – I’m stepping it up a notch by adding sweet raisins and some large chunks of pecans. Pan-fry the pecans in a small skillet over low heat, shaking every few seconds being careful not to burn.
Be sure to also check out more fantastic recipes by our #SundaySupper group! Enjoy your holidays!
- Glühwein from Magnolia Days
- Cookies-n-Cream Cocktails from The Urban Mrs
- Cranberry Fizz from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Rosemary Orange Punsch from Galactopdx
- Candy Cane Martini from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate from Momma’s Meals
- Chocolate Peppermint Eggnog from The Daily Dish Recipes
- Jamaican Sorrel from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Spoons from Chocolate Moosey
- Gingerbread Hot Chocolate from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Homemade Eggnog from Flour on my Face
- Moroccan Mint Tea from MarocMama
- Cherry Bomb from Noshing with the Nolands
- Wassel from There And Back Again
- Cranberry Sparkler Mocktail from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pomegranate Cosmo from Supper For A Steal
- Poinsettia Mimosas from Big Bear’s Wife
- Egg Cream for Adults from Fast Food to Fresh FoodMulled Wine: Spiked and Steamy from Daddy Knows Less
- Hot Chocolate Party from Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Poinsettia Cocktails from The Catholic Foodie
- The Red Carpet Diva from Cooking Underwriter
Appetizers or Hors d’oeuvres
- Cheese Ball Wreath from The Meltaways
- Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts from My Catholic Kitchen
- Prosciutto Goat Cheese Rolls with Fig Preserves and Arugula from Shockingly Delicious
- Muenster and Spinach Pinwheels from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Drunk Moose Meatballs from The Foodie Army Wife
- Smoked Salmon Blinis with Cranberry-Spiced Feta from Chattering Kitchen
- Sticky Wholegrain Mustard & Ginger Cocktail Sausages from girlichef
- Potato Leek Soup from What Smells So Good
- Firecracker Shrimp and Samosas from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Cheesy Mushroom Pull Apart Bread from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- 5 Quick & Easy Appetizers for Your Holiday Party from Webicurean
- Bacon Peanut Caramel Corn from Gotta Get Baked
- Crostini topped with Voodoo Chicken Cream Dip from Country Girl in the Village
- Mushroom Strudel from Vintage Kitchen
- Roxanne’s Shrimp & Andouille Sausage Queso Dip from The ROXX Box
- Herbed Holiday Party Mix from Curious Cuisiniere
- Old fashioned Swedish Meatballs from I Run For Wine
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Bites from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Saucy Asian Meatballs from Damn Delicious
- Baked Philo Appetizers from My Cute Bride
- Fried Green Beans with Wasabi Ranch from Juanita’s Cocina
- Salsa Baked Cheese from Home Cooking Memories
- Cookie Dough Dip from The Cookie-A-Day Challenge
- Parmesan Onion Rounds from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Lip-smacking Cranberry Cocktail Meatballs from In The Kitchen with KP
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip from Comfy Cuisine
- Indian Spiced Tuna Balls from Soni’s Food
- Onion marmalade with Bacon from Ruffles and Truffles
- Roasted Cranberry Beet Borsch Shooters from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sweet Potato Dip from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Festive Cucumber & Ginger Sushi Rolls from The Ninja Baker
- Baked Brie from Family Foodie
- Baked Jalapeno-Ranch Popper Dip from The Weekend Gourmet
Can you believe all those goodies? I can’t wait for this party to start!
Do you have a favorite dish or beverage to take to a party? Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on December 16th. In the evening we will meet at 3 pm AKST/7 pm EST for our #SundaySupper Party live chat.
We’d also love to feature your recipe for holiday parties on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.